Toe fungus is a fungal infection that can affect the areas on or around your toes such as the cuticles and the skin under and around your nail edges and tips.
Classic symptoms of toe fungus include:
- Itchiness or redness of the affected areas
- Rash that appears in a circle shape that may be inflamed and flaking
- Peeling and cracking of the skin
Not sure if you have toe fungus? Your doctor can help you identify it.
- Keep your nails short, dry and clean.
- Trim nails straight across and file down thickened areas.
- Wear socks and change them at least every 24 hours so your feet can “breathe.”
- Use an anti-fungal product as soon as you notice an infection to keep it from spreading.
- Select a well-known manicure and pedicure salon, and bring your own instruments.
- Don’t trim or pick at the skin around your nails.
- Don’t walk barefoot in public places such as pools, locker rooms and/or showers.
- Since fungal infections can spread from one person to another, wash your hands.